Now that The Ex is in town I know it means that summer is nearly over. Hallelujah. It also means I should make some sort of race decision. 21.1K or 42.2K? Which one? With about 8 weeks left, my training to date could easily branch into either distance.
- I need a do-over for the Boston that should have been a PB but was a pathetic train wreck.
- If I wanted to run Boston next year, which I do not, I’ve already BQed in an early registration wave, so no worries about getting in. If I cared. Which I do not.
- I want to break my half marathon rut. In the last two years I’ve finished each one within a minute of the other ones.
- I want to break my marathon rut. 8 marathons so far, 12 minute spread.
- I could run multiple half marathons.
- I could not run a marathon before late October.
- I could run 1-2 half marathons as tune-up races for the marathon.
- I could race both distances, with proper scheduling.
- I hate hot/humid weather. Hate. 5C, <50% humidity = perfection.
- I like a bit of elevation variation, aid stations every 3K, and small fields.
- Wasaga Beach Half Marathon Sept 11 – only $50, but I think it’s hilly and it will likely be hot/humid – the triple H. 21 days.
- Island Girl Half Marathon Sept 25 – $75, might be hot/humid, interesting location. 35 days.
- The County Half Marathon Oct 2 – $80, small race, scenic, requires an overnight stay, might be hot/humid. 42 days.
- 5 Peaks HighLand Nordic Trail Race Oct 15 – not a half/marathon (the enduro will probably be around 12K), but a race I would like to fit into my calendar. 55 days.
- Scotiabank Waterfront Half Marathon October 16 – $80, current race of my half marathon PWs, plural. Everyone loves this race, except me. Too many people, too many familiar miles. Maybe it will be better with the three-week later start. 56 days.
- Niagara Falls International Half/Marathon October 23 – $70/$100, could run either distance, marathon goes through two countries (!), smallish, reportedly a great course, requires an overnight stay, weather likely to be cool(er). 63 days.
- Hamilton Road2Hope Half/Marathon November 6 – $85/$95, could run either distance, net downhill course (I suck at downhill running), cool weather, fastest BQer in Canada, may get caught by the train. 77 days.
- Some race not on my radar that you recommend. According to Roger Robinson in Running Times, few regions in the world have such a lavish menu of interesting marathons.
There is a downside to the lavish menu. Decision-making. I need some perspective. Any recommendations/suggestions?*
*The bolded text and change in font colour emphasizes the seriousness of this plea.
Title: Black Sheep – The Choice is Yours. 1991.