This week you get both sides of the tape. You are welcome.
- One of my favourite run bloggers discovers that running is as serious as a heart attack. And that running saved his life.
- The training menu. An 8 mile appetizer and 16 mile main course. What’s for dessert?
- Bad news for runners. The earth is now a windier place.
- A 33 mile run around Manhattan. Around, in this instance, is literal.
- Dear Race Director, your course is long. Dear runner, no it is not.
- A health and wellness junkie hooks up with Lululemon. Was it a one night stand or the start of a long-term relationship?
- One runner’s goal: to run fast enough to get her name on the front of her shirt. That would be cool.
- The M word. Seem like everyone is doing it. Some people are still thinking about doing it. No longer for folks so serious they will poop their pants.
- It starts with running through a race (side note: this is one of my favourite excerpts from Once a Runner), moves to the Runner’s Code of Conduct in talking about training, and ends with intellectual property rights.
- Sometimes even smart runners **** up. Seriously, I rarely swear. It’s weird to even swear-write. That explains the ****.
- The rise of the gimmick runners. What about media attention for the rest of us?
- Science! Of bears! They are so much more evolved than us non-bear mammals. If I was a bear I probably never would have had those three stress fractures back in 2005 and 2006.
- All those things that go inevitably go wrong before your tune-up run … it’s training for all the things that will inevitably go wrong before your A race.
- The 10% rule explained. I won’t spoil the ending, but it involves sissies.
- I typically leave world events and other not running stuff out of this blog. But a long run is a long time to think about such things, like the joy of a spring run backdropped by a disaster half a world away.
- The NYC Half Marathon, through the eyes of a course marshal. I’ve done my share of volunteering. Indeed, I think all runners should volunteer. As a bonus, it will make you feel AWESOME.